Wednesday, September 20, 2006

1 Timothy 1:12-19

( I leave out verse 20 in this particular devotional, not because it is not scripture or unimportant in anyway, but because I can see no way that it can reflect on me. That does not mean that it never will, just that at this time, I wish to focus in on the passages that stood out more on this read through).

This section of Timothy is one of Paul's many mini testimonies that he writes in many of his epistles. Paul focuses in on his sinfulness before his discovery of the gift of grace that God desired to give to him. The reason that this struck me in particular was because of something that I blogged on my main blog. It was here that I told the story, very briefly, about my particular issues with anger and hot tempers. I may not have been an explicit blasphemer or persecutor (as Paul calls himself in verse 13), but I was most definately a violent child, with the capabilities of being an incredibly violent man. But what convicted me here was not MY sins in particular.

What really convicted me here is that this is what God does for ALL sinners that turn away from their natural sinful nature to God. God pours out his mercy and grace upon them abundantly (v. 14). And we are shown mercy because we act "in ignorance and unbelief." (v. 13). Why was this convicting you may ask? Here's why.

After hearing about the shooting at Dawson college, my thoughts were very black, especially towards the young man that did the shooting. My thoughts went even blacker when I heard about how the girl who died actually died. Very ungraceful thoughts were going through my head, before I had to remind myself that we do indeed live in a fallen world and that if I didn't know Christ, i'm sure that I would have just as much anger towards the world. Heck, if I didn't know Christ, I'd probably have a criminal record a mile long for getting into fights with people on the street.

Paul says in verse 16, "But for the very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life." God did this for me. He did this for everyone (although granted not everyone accepts.) I need to remember that as I hear about all the dark, evil things that happen in this world, that people do such things because of the ignorance and darkness that they are in. The best that I can do is pray, live the truth in my life, and share why I live this way with people around me. That is the only way that I can think of being the salt and light on this earth.

I'm a zombie right now. I'm not reading this very clearly or lucidly, so I will end here. It's not as solid as my last post, but still just as striking for me.

I would like to end with verse 17.

Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

1 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger amac said...

16But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.

great passage, i like this verse just cause it validates my current sinfulness, but provides suh huge hope that JC will continue to work in me

thanks for the devo Jon.


if you can post a link to the verse or somethng.. or not, i'm just lazy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home