Wednesday, September 27, 2006

1 Timothy 2 (continued)

I started this, but couldn't finish it and had to refresh my Spirit in another area of the Bible. That went well. I love the Psalms... in fact I'm considering perhaps alternating between the Psalms and Timothy now. I'll have to consider that, in might break the flow of the Timothy.

1 Timothy 2 (ESV) 1 Timothy 2 (NIV) 1 Timothy 2 (KJV)

But I began this look at chapter 2 of 1 Timothy with the idea that although it seems interesting that Paul put such a wide range of topics in this chapter, I ask whether it is so strange that this happened?

NOTE: I do not intend to touch on the more controversial bits about Paul saying that women will be saved by child bearing and the bit about women must being silent and not being allowed to teach/having authority over men. I'm not even sure where I stand on that, besides which this is neither the time nor the place to get into such discussions. Not being a women, there isn't much I can do to self reflect on such a passage. Maybe God will convict me of something in the future with these verses.

Paul starts off with the idea that we should pray and thank God for EVERYONE. As personal application, putting this into practice in our lvies would turn us into nothing but prayerers (a made up word I admit). At the same time, the command still exists. Paul gives an example of what to pray about, one of them being to pray for those in authority that we may "live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." (1 Timothy 2:2) Some would love to quote that first bit and ignore the second - yours truly included - but there it is. It's not bad to want to live in conditions where we are free to practice our faith and free to subscribe to the Way without persecution, but so often we forget that in this freedom we must live it, and how often do we do that. I know that I don't. I've caught myself with a lot of really bad habits these days. Some of the music that I'm listening to (and own) is not so edifying and yet I cannot bring myself to rid my collection of them. My mouth has become foul to the point where it sounds natural to me to be inserting expletives in my speech. It's becoming less of a problem, but I can still swear without blinking and it shows in certain involuntary acts of speech. I am reminded once again of 1 Peter as I write this.

If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. - 1 Peter 4:10-11

I know I've been failing on that. And the above is not to say that these are the only unholinesses in my life... but some of the more tangible few instances of garbage in garbage out kind of sin.

But then how does this beginning link with the latter parts of the passage, I will focus in on one more verse, verse 8. I earnestly desire to simply raise up holy hands in prayer, and that if ever anything comes between me and another brother or sister, that it would be dealt with in a godly fashion and without divisive quarrelling, anger or disputing. This particular phrase seems to be coming up a lot. It's funny that sometimes God decides you need to hear something over and over again. I don't argue, I don't think I'll ever hear the end of this particular phrase because I have to watch out that when I say things, that I am saying them in love and not in simple condemnation (as I was very quick to do here, though I would like to qualify and say that I did not intend for those words to sound condemning in anyway. If they did it is because of the inadequacy of my own self to rid myself of that particular style of writing. It is passages like these that remind me to continue to try.)

But the question arises, how do I keep my hands holy? The definition of holy according to my commentary is from the Greek "hosius" meaning devout or undefiled. Are my hands undefiled? Absolutely not! But God makes them so through his infinite grace and mercy. Thus though I may never be able to fix certain unholy things in my life on my own, it is through the desire for God that they may be supplanted.

Prayer: LORD, thank you, once again, for reminding me to keep my mind and heart focused on the important things of this world. Thank you for reminders from people whom I love to focus on the important and urgent matters before us. Every day I defile my hands in some way or another, but every day, you make them holy again. How do you do it? May my life reflect that eternal patience of Yours. In Jesus name, AMEN.

Then will I ever sing praise to your name and fulfill my vows day after day. - Psalm 61:8

2 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger amac said...

coolio, you blog long jon. I appreciate that u have such an emphasis on application. hearing u talk about how much the bible convicts you makes me think i should be using the sword like such.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger amac said...

coolio, you blog long jon. I appreciate that u have such an emphasis on application. hearing u talk about how much the bible convicts you makes me think i should be using the sword like such.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home