Saturday, October 07, 2006

Psalm 64-65

Seeing as how it is quite late and I don't really want to get into an indepth look at 1 Timothy 3 right now (all that leadership stuff is kind of heady for 1:50 AM) I decided to jump back at Psalm. As expected, it did not disappoint.

Psalm 64: I do not know the historical context for this psalm, but it sounds pretty bad. David bemoans the evil men that lie in wait to ambush and attack the innocent man as the lay their evil plans and plot their injustices that will eventually lead to their own ruin (as we are assured of in Proverbs 21:12). It's easy for us to think in our lives and point at others, saying "He's that evil man in the bushes, I better watch for his nets and snares." Or "I'd better watch that fool's sharpened tongue lest he lead me astray." Yet the name of the game here has always been self-reflection, and I wonder if anybody within my circle of influence would point at me and say "Watch out for that evil man and his nets and snares," or "I should watch out for that fool's sharpened tongue." Lord only knows I've given plenty of people reason to say such things of me and I am deeply ashamed.

I desire to be "the righteous" who "rejoice in the LORD and take refuge in him:" I desire to be "the upright in heart" who "praises him" and that my praise might not be detestable to the LORD but a praise of glorification to him, that is a pleasing sound in his ear. I loath to be a resounding gong in the sight and sound of the LORD. May this never be. And may this spill over into my life, that others may see the joy that I have in the LORD.

Psalm 65: As I was reading this Psalm, another picture (other than the one of God's creation that David paints wonderfully) appeared in my mind. This picture was that of York, where "all men will come." (v. 2b) Where the LORD responds to our faithfulness to Him by "answering with awesome deeds of rightesouness" and where He "cares for the land and waters it; enriching it abundantly (v.9a)... drenching its furrows and leveling its ridges; softening it with showers and blessing its crops." (v10) He will "crown the year with His bounty and His carts will overflow with abundance. The grasslands of (York) overflow, (York) is clothed with gladness." (11-12) Why? Because "(York) is covered with flocks and the valleys are mantled with grain; (all of York) shouts for joy and sings" to the almighty LORD of all, for they have heard the message and received.

A beautiful image isn't it. Despite all the sylistic gaffes in that previous paragraph, that picture painted in my mind has inspired me all the more to keep on going hard with the men in our Discipleship group. We have some solid guys, and I'm really looking forward to some exciting things this year.

Prayer: LORD you are mighty and wonderful. You convict and you inspire. You point out my flaws and weaknesses, but then you more than make up for them. Even though we ask for you to take those weaknesses away, you proclaim unto us that your grace is sufficient for us and to continue on in faith. I earnestly desire to do this. Help me not to be a man that says many things, but fails to act on those words, but that I would be faithful to the promises that I make to you and to myself as I go about my daily life. Thank you for your strength through your Holy Spirit. I ask to be filled and refreshed that it may overflow out of my life and into the lives of others.
In Jesus name I pray, AMEN.

Then will I ever sing praise to your name and fulfill my vows day after day
-Psalm 61:8

1 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger amac said...

beautiful devo. it was pretty inspiring. and you did it at 2 am, good stuff.

glad i get to read it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home