Thursday, October 26, 2006

1 TImothy 4:9-16

I will begin with a quick response to a question re: the commentary that I use.

It's called The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty. The Editors are John F. Walvoord and Roy B. Zuck.

1 Timothy 4:9-16 (ESV) 1 Timothy 4:9-16 (NIV) 1 Timothy 4:9-16 (KJV)

Everywhere I go for this past hour reminds me of God's love for us, his amazing power, how we need to put our trust in him. Verse 9-10 is no exception. "...(and for this we labour and strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, and especially for those who believe." Indeed... my hope is in the living God. It feels good to hear that from the Word for some reason.

For some reason, the rest of the verses, they're there... but they don't really jump out. You know the kind of verses preached to young people all the time... do not let people look down on you... and such.

But for some reason what really speaks to me here is v. 15-16. Be diligent in these matters (i.e. public reading of Scripture, preaching, teaching [see v. 13] OR in the gifts that have been given to us [v. 14])... give yourself wholly to them... watch your life and doctrine closely. How diligent have I been in maintining my gifts. Do I even know what my gifts are? A friend of mine asked me if I've taken a spiritual gifting test... I don't believe I have. Maybe I should figure that out?

Although this is really scattered and really short, it's been helpful to pull myself out of the nose dive that my emotions seem to have taken. Being sick doesn't help.

3 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger amac said...

i might havea sp gift sheet, or wendy or any otherstaff probly

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Rainbow Choi =) said...

hey jon... and andrew!

heres the one i did that jess w gave me in mtl... its pretty thorough but i wouldnt base all my conclusions of "figuring it out" just on the one test if you remember my comments about it, and keeping in mind that these tests are really influenced by what you've done/ gifts you've been able to exercise in the past up til now and less of what you haven't already had a chance to do... if that makes sense.

anyways,

http://www.acts17-11.com/giftsinv.rtf

have fun =)

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Jonathan P said...

Thanks Rainbow :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home